Overlays of some dramatic RPDs

>>Overlays of some dramatic RPDs
Overlays of some dramatic RPDs 2016-03-20T13:08:52+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum Overlays of some dramatic RPDs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #9682 |

One gets a greater understanding of RPDs when overlays are created to predict the position of the prior punch. Here are a few overlays of more dramatic RPDs. I have positioned these overlays to best explain all the widest markers seen; there may be other RPDs as well.

The 1894/1894 RPD-001 (S1) has called the best RPD of the IHC series. The spacing may not be the most dramatic, but the surviving remnants of the prior punch are very bold. Comparing the RPD to the overlay, it’s interesting to see that many areas of the prior digits are simply absent. A possible explanation is that certain areas of the date punch exerted more pressure and left deeper areas into the die. Then, when the die was polished, only these deepest areas remained.

1894/1894
    Photo credit: Heritage Auctions

The 1899 RPD-002 (S2) RPD position isn’t understood well until an overlay is made to account for every marker. In this variety, there are markers inside the 8 and last 9 that can only be explained by a single overlay position. As you can see, it’s a more dramatic spread than the 1894/1894.

1899 RPD-002

This wide RPD on the 1895 RPD-004 (S2) is easy to overlook unless an overlay is made. Interesting to note how the date overlapped the lower part of the bust. Naturally, this is possible because the portrait is deeply incuse on the die.

1895 RPD-004

The 1865 “Plain 5” RPD-002 (S3) is especially interesting when analyzed by overlay. This image is an excerpt from an in-depth analysis I made on this variety. You seldom see an 8 intersecting with the first digit of the date–white arrow.

1865 RPD-002

This overlay works with a composite image I made of the 1898 RPD-005 (S4), incorporating a more detailed picture of the last digit. Since there is only a marker in the last digit, the date position is less certain. However, if the last digit shows an 8/8, it must be a very wide repunching–as proposed below.

1898 RPD-005

The 1907 RPD-022 (S20) is a very interesting variety! Once you position an overlay to the digits just peeking inside the “90”, you realize what a wide RPD this is.

1907 RPD-022

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Awesome, such great work! How do you develop the overlay digits to proper size, proportion, and spacing?

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

Thanks! I develop these overlays by importing an actual photo of the date into Adobe Illustrator, and tracing the digits directly, then importing into Photoshop for the final work. The digits vary–sometimes dramatically–from year-to-year, so I’m building sets of overlays for each date. This also involves some interpretation, particularly for 1865–since the tops of digits vary so much from the bases.

RussRuss
    Keymaster

Kurt,

Your efforts are exemplary and your findings profound. I commend and applaud your approach to overlays. Your inquiry using this method, especially year-by-year, may substantiate some hunches we both have as to how and why date punches were made, used, misused, altered, and destroyed.

These mysteries must be the most interesting across all US coin series. Never lose faith in the activity on this forum; we are setting the bar for collaborative and constructive research into our most precious hobby.

Cheers,

Russ

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

Thanks Russ! Honestly, doing these overlays has been really eye-opening…to help me look at IHC varieties in a new way, and possibly lead to new discoveries too. 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.