Fake 1878 Shallow N Indian Cent

>>Fake 1878 Shallow N Indian Cent
Fake 1878 Shallow N Indian Cent 2014-12-30T13:33:17+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum Fake 1878 Shallow N Indian Cent

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    #5937 |

Just a heads up, David Poliquin verified this specimen as a counterfeit after I spotted it on the bay. It has been added to the Counterfeit page of the website.

1878 Shallow N Counterfeit Obverse

1878 Shallow N Counterfeit Reverse

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

Well…that’s an interesting example. Cobbling together a picture of the date area against a certified example, it appears they made an effort for the date style to look reasonably accurate–but not exact. A few things jump out to me–
    • For a higher-grade coin, I don’t see much mint luster or evidence of die wear
    • The obverse legends look a little too chunky, perhaps from transferring details from a genuine coin to make a die?
    • The “shallow N” on the reverse makes an odd bend at the point it gets shallower.
    • The denticles look misshapen, particularly for a coin from the 1870s.
    • And those rounded rims are perhaps the biggest flag of all LOL! 😛

–Any others?

detail comparing certified date area to fake coin

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Nice comparison! David pointed out the broken E in UNITED as an attribute not indicative of a genuine hub. There are also a lot of die lines there, in the letter S for instance.

Also, the denticles and rim are strange. The coin does not seem perfectly round, or it might be the die used. But if you let your eye follow around the rim slowly, you will see a slight variation. It had me fooled until I called David.

Oh I forgot the auction link – lets see how much it commands. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-1c-Indian-Head-Penny-Key-Date-/201248648399?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Russ Russ.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

Oh yeah–I also noticed the broken E (and S?)….that’s especially telling if verified dies don’t have that.
    “The coin does not seem perfectly round, or it might be the die used.”
    I see that now…it seems like the arc/curve changes around 12:30 on the rev?
    The rims on real business strikes sure look crisper–I guess whatever collar they used let the coin metal flow differently, sorta like a broadstrike?
    Another thought–the portrait details look sorta mushy?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Yeah, I agree the details are mushy. Yes, 12:30 on the reverse is a spot that seems out-of-round. As if the collar was fashioned by hand rather than machined. It reminds me of many 1863 specimens that appear with very little detail. My guess is that those were hubbed only once or twice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.