Buy the coin, not the slab! Tales from the TPG

>>Buy the coin, not the slab! Tales from the TPG
Buy the coin, not the slab! Tales from the TPG 2015-01-03T22:54:09+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum Buy the coin, not the slab! Tales from the TPG

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    #6092 |

The old adage goes, “Buy the coin, not the slab!”. This thread will serve to illustrate when TPGs miss the mark, or the target altogether. The purpose here is not to badger the TPGs for making a mistake, but rather to help hone the skills of the coin collector. Be keen!

In general, Indian Head Cents that are in encased by NGC as part of the Stack’s W 57th St Collection are overgraded. Some perhaps deserved a details grade in my own opinion. Look over these coins carefully.

Here is one to get us started an AU53 by NGC that is more like an XF40.

1905 AU53 NGC Overgraded Indian Head Cent

1905 AU53 NGC Overgraded Indian Head Cent

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

I see an ~XF45. I don’t even think AU unless I can see a good amount of luster, which is absent in the pictures.
    Unless I’m not seeing a better variety, I don’t understand why they would slab an IHC worth maybe $7.50…

RussRuss
    Keymaster

Wow, this must be one of the most overgraded coins I’ve seen by any TPG.

DVCollectorDVCollector

By my standards, that might hit 35-40–details. I think I see more than a few corrosion spots.

RussRuss
    Keymaster

OMG, just wow. I guess I spoke too soon. From what I’ve seen over the last couple of years, I’m not sure I’d include NGC in the top three TPGs anymore… for Indian Cents at least. PCGS and ANACS do a far superior job. In fact, it seems ANACS is the most accurate and consistent for grading, but prices favor PCGS. Just my take.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.