1899 RPD-002–additional marker?

>>1899 RPD-002–additional marker?
1899 RPD-002–additional marker? 2015-03-07T10:39:28+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum 1899 RPD-002–additional marker?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    #6725 |

So I picked up this RPD-002 (S2) the other day and saw something I didn’t expect. It has the usual markers of the documented RPD (black arrows), plus something else is visible–a raised arc of metal just W of the “8” (white arrow). Update: scroll to the bottom for the best picture.

Here’s a closeup of the mark in question–it’s no artifact of the camera or lighting. It’s visible at many angles and clearly raised and reflective.

Here’s another shot under my scope. Even at this resolution–a curved, tapered arc coming to a point is seen–very indicative of a partially polished away RPD:

I just assumed the mark in the lower loop of the “8” was repunching of the same loop. However, if you look closely, you will see it’s a larger radius than the inner loop. So what if it’s the LR outer loop of the 8? Interestingly, both marks fit very well to an 8/8 overlay as shown.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

Here’s one more overlay I think better explains what I’m seeing:

1. Shows how I’ve traced the approximate curves of the inside and outside lower loops of the 8.
    2. When the inside loop is put over the 8/8, the curve looks a little too tight, and it doesn’t match that other mark (white arrow).
    3. When the outside loop is put over the 8/8, it appears to fit the curve better, and the inside loop fits closely to that mark.

If that mark is the remnant of an RPD, I would go with 3. as being the more likely position of this 8/8.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

OK–here’s a new shot that I think shows the mark in much better relief and detail. 😀
    I think it’s pretty compelling…it may be part of the RPD

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Interesting! I will check mine the next time I make it to the bank.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

RussRuss
    Keymaster

I have added your pics to the listing, thanks! 1899 RPD-002

DVCollectorDVCollector

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I decided to create a tight overlay for the whole date to see how the RPD was positioned. By including the last 9/9 in the overlay, the RPD position is better understood. In fact, there is only one position that accounts for the main markers (dark arrows). The secondary marker (white arrow) matches too.

Compare this shot to the one above–notice the less noise and sharper details? This was accomplished using more diffusion. I also employed a Photoshop technique where you swap the green channel in RGB color mode for the lightness channel in LAB color. Since much of the specular noise on a bronze coin is in the red channel, using the green channel for brightness cuts out much of this noise, resulting in a cleaner, sharper picture.

1899 S2 overlay

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Righteous overlay! I bet outlines of the other digits can be seen on this coin and those of higher grade.

DVCollectorDVCollector

Thanks and I’m sure there’s more to be seen, esp. in earlier die states.
    I’ve made a few more overlays for interesting RPDs–it’s surprising to see how wide the repunching can be.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.