1895 IHC–a very late die state.

>>1895 IHC–a very late die state.
1895 IHC–a very late die state. 2015-02-22T16:37:05+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum 1895 IHC–a very late die state.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I saw this coin on eBay, and grabbed the pic just because it was so fascinating. 😀 Short of a completely shattered die, this may be one of the most worn dies I’ve seen to date. If anything, it’s just a great reference pic to show how an IHC obverse die wears. Look closely at how the lower loop of the “5” in the date is wearing away, or how the denticles are merging with the fields. Those are some rough fields–what would you grade it?

Late die state IHC
    See full-sized pic here: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8602/16429987240_50aa1365c7_o.jpg

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

I’m not a fantastic grader by any means, I just know a nice coin when I see it. I’d put it at XF45. Very little wear; ribbon and hair are fully separated. If the dings were not on the cheek, it’d look more like an AU50. And 1895 seems to have quite a few heavily deteriorated dies, which could lend to your theory on variances in furnace-heat.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Russ Russ.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

Yeah…I put it around EF45 too, but the numbers don’t tell the whole story. If it were slabbed, I suppose it wouldn’t get a CAC sticker, lol.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.