1894 MPD-001 2015-04-07T15:35:19+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Here’s a coin that I spotted on eBay last week, which took some investigative work to correctly attribute. It’s an NGC slabbed coin; the seller’s pics weren’t very good, but I spotted something underneath the last digit in the denticles:

Which had me wondering–was this the MPD-001/S2, a nice variety–which has a “94” poking out of the denticles, as shown below:

The “4” looked to be in the right place, but where was the “9”? Seeing a lone mark isn’t enough for me to bid on a coin. I needed a sure confirmation to make it worth my while…so I went looking for other markers. And I found an unpublished marker on all examples of this variety–there is a small, curved die gouge underneath the chin that does not appear on any other obverse dies for 1894. Below is the gouge pictured on two different MS-grade coins (left), then on the coin I bought (right)–do you see it? It pays to research even “documented” varieties. 🙂

Finally, a blowup of the die gouge underneath the chin on my coin. It may be a small mark, but it’s consistent on every example of this MPD:

There is also a die scratch spanning the TE in STATES on all examples, including my coin (pictured below):

And sure enough, when it arrived both MPDs were visible. The pics below are shot through an NGC slab graded EF40 (I give it a VF30). It’s an MPD I’ve been looking for–I’m happy to pick this up (without other bidders) for just $35 shipped. 😀

Primary markers under the date area–I could get a better pic if it weren’t for the slab:

The whole obverse. NGC gave this an EF40; my grade is VF30. A nice, even brown without problems.

RussRuss
    Keymaster

Great shots and what an analysis! Those die lines are really popping there! I’d agree with you on the grade – NGC is a stinker! The oddity under the chin is similar to the Whiskers variety. Under the chin and the ‘goatee’ area are prominent places for die failure – along with the 8th and 9th feather tip chips.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

RussRuss
    Keymaster

The 1894 MPD-001 has been updated with your photos, thanks!

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

Glad these images are useful! 😀 I should note–the second image is not mine; I just posted it for comparison.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.