1893 RPD-003 / S1

1893 RPD-003 / S1 2015-11-04T03:19:33+00:00
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    #5954 |

Here’s a recent find on eBay. It turns out the coin looks better than the auction photos. It’s a mid-brown coin with a lot of remaining luster; I’d put it around AU50.

I shot these pictures using a 16mpx Nikon AW110, hand-held. At maximum resolution, the details of the RPD break down due to jpeg noise.
    Later, I will shoot the RPD using my dedicated macro setup on my 36mpx D810–it should be an interesting comparison to these pics and the excellent diagnostic shots. Happy New Years all! 😀

RPD area shot using a low light angle:
    1893 RPD-003 S1

Obverse–showing some of the remaining luster. The color isn’t quite accurate–better pictures to come.
    1893 obverse

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Russ Russ.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

Uh-oh…I have to re-post the detail of the RPD

RussRuss
    Keymaster

Those are very nice pics, do you mind if I add them to the listing files? Your photos will be cited, of course.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

Thanks…these pics are just a preview. When I get home from the holidays, I’ll shoot with my D810 and get near-microscopic detail! 😀

DVCollectorDVCollector

Here’s a new picture, shot with my D810 and this 60mm. As you can see, this camera captures a lot more detail. 🙂
    I almost think I see something on the 3 at a similar position to the 9. An earlier die state in MS might reveal this a 3/3 too.

1893 detail

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

Something with the coding gets messed up–it puts linked text into the corner, like this:
    “Here’s a new picture, shot with my D810 and –> this 60mm

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

DV – Awesome picture. Wow, yeah that is some detail!. There is definitely repunching on the 3, and whether you can see it depends on the die state most likely, as you say. In Rick’s book you can see the repunching on the top ball of the 3, to the south. I don’t think it can be seen very well in our file photos because of the lighting angle. I have one of these RPD-003s myself, and I need to get some pictures up. Thanks for pointing that out, I will see if I can get some pics from my coin.

Ok, I will take a look at the code. Thanks for pointing that out. I did get total posts and signature added – and users can now upload their own avatar. I see you’ve done that so good to know it works.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Russ Russ.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

There was also an issue with the ‘last post’ and ‘freshness’ time stamps. For instance, the forum was saying it was last updated three days ago, although several posts had been made. This problem has been corrected. I also corrected the link in your OP as the forum prohibits edits after 5 minutes.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Russ Russ.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.