1888/7 OVD-001 diagnostics

1888/7 OVD-001 diagnostics 2016-02-25T14:50:25+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum 1888/7 OVD-001 diagnostics

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #8809 |

I thought I would share all the diagnostics that I have discovered while studying this overdate. There’s a lot more to this variety than meets the first glance. Knowing some of the secondary diagnostics might help a collector spot a coin somewhere–happy hunting! 😀 Any omissions/corrections? post them below.

Naturally, the primary marker is the base of the “7” protruding from underneath the 8–light arrow below. Even this primary marker varies in visibility due to wear, grime on the coin, and possibly strike issues. Below is a montage of the 8/7 seen on a number of certified examples–it’s not always crystal clear.

The variety is pretty rare, but it may be possible to find one. So if you’re scanning hundreds of 1888 coins, I’ve found the quickest way to eliminate perhaps 80% of coins is by date position in relation to the denticles–line in image below. The black arrows point to secondary markers, a leftover from polishing most of the 7 off the die.

As pictured above in a high-grade example, the cud crossing the denticles adjacent to “UNITED” is believed to be present on all examples, although it may be hard to see in lower grades:

Finally, on many examples, the eighth feather tip is weak, blending into the field. While this is not a confirmation in of itself, it may help corroborate a possible 1888 OVD-001 spotted in a poor online photo.

all photo credits: Heritage Auctions

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Excellent photos and analysis! Snow has claimed that this variety exists without the rim cud, but it has never been photographed to my knowledge. I suspect they all have the CUD and a shallow 8th feather tip.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

Thanks…and that’s interesting about the cud. A few years back, Rick Snow told me they all have the cud, but maybe he’s changed his mind since then. I haven’t seen an example without the cud, but some examples have a larger cud than others, so it may be possible…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

Here’s another look at this overdate. This time, I have overlaid the 1888 with the 1887. Both are from proof dies to show the digits crisply. The outlines are carefully traced from an 1887 date. 1888 is positioned to closely fit the “188” on the prior die. The result closely matches the markers remaining of the 8/7, although what remains are reduced quite a bit. This is probably due to polishing to remove as much of the prior date as possible.

188/7 markers
    photo credit: Heritage Auctions

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.