1884 ODD-001 "star in shield"

>>1884 ODD-001 "star in shield"
1884 ODD-001 "star in shield" 2015-03-02T21:56:44+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum 1884 ODD-001 "star in shield"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #6723 |

I found this on eBay yesterday–if you look carefully at the seller’s pic, the markers are there (arrow). It’s an interesting die blunder–it makes me wonder how/why it happened–it almost looks like someone hacked on the die with a sharp tool. The diagnostic pics also show roughness and deep abrasions to the portrait–perhaps they were made from removing rust to the die? Two obverses are paired with the reverse die. I suspect I have the obverse with an MPD too. More pictures can be seen here: https://indianvarieties.com/cents/1884-indian-head-penny/1884-odd-001/

The MS diagnostic pic is from the variety’s page.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    DVCollectorDVCollector

I’m unsure why I left this thread hanging for 2 weeks–without follow-up pictures. However, I just found another of this variety, and will post follow-up pictures then…I think the latest coin is more interesting. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Cool, thanks. Yeah this variety is very rare. I believe I’ve found only 2, one being the cherry coin you see above. One of the favorite of my entire collection.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

DVCollectorDVCollector

I picked up a second example of this variety the other day. My first one has some porosity; this one’s a solid VF without any issues. This variety is paired with two obverse dies. One obverse die has MPDs, which I don’t see on this coin.

The “star in shield” is still prominent in this grade. Fortunately, the highpoint on the shield, which wears down first, is on the right. It’s unknown what caused these marks. It would be easiest to damage the die with a sharp tool before it was hardened. If this happened while the press was running, wouldn’t there be some progression of damage to the die? I do notice that my coin does not have the die crack across the top of the shield.

No MPDs that I can see in the denticles:

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.
    RussRuss
    Keymaster

Great eye! That is a very tough but exciting variety. Top for 1884 IMO!

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.