Reply To: 1889 RPD-008: an overlay analysis

Reply To: 1889 RPD-008: an overlay analysis 2015-03-14T22:01:51+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum 1889 RPD-008: an overlay analysis Reply To: 1889 RPD-008: an overlay analysis

DVCollectorDVCollector

This adds to the desirability of the coin, and the boldness of the 9 makes it appealing. There are many RPDs like this one that exhibit repunching off-set in different directions, indicating those dies were were struck multiple times with the date punch.

I think so too…there really isn’t another 9/9 like this in the whole IHC series, hence my interest in acquiring a high-grade example. Good idea on the 9–I think something rather unusual happened here; an angled punch could explain a few things too. BTW–this one came from David Poliquin’s collection, for a great price too.

I think this is another case where IHC varieties shouldn’t just be cataloged and forgotten. In Snow’s book, the variety lists an 89/89 north. But from what I’ve seen, it’s just not possible these two digits were repunched at the same time. I haven’t discovered anything really “new” here–the details are quite obvious. I just think if we approach these varieties without preconceived ideas, we’ll learn more. I suspect the MPDs were at least two separate repunchings as well.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.