Reply To: 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures

Reply To: 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures 2015-02-28T12:54:51+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures Reply To: 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures

DVCollectorDVCollector

You’d think that if orange peel could occur on the dies – why not the planchets?

Yeah–since ‘orange peel’ is related to grain size, I’m sure planchets could show that too. I would only guess that since each IHC obverse die struck ~250K coins in 1890, the effects of ‘orange peel’ might be more pronounced on dies–or is it more commonly seen on earlier die states?

This picture of the old furnace has very small doors. Seems great for die making but doesn’t seem preferable for planchets. What are the workers doing in the background there?

Great observations–you really gleaned a lot of info from that photo! 😀 I agree–that furnace doesn’t look setup at all for annealing coins–they couldn’t pour them in that small door and hope to get them out–ever. I have very limited knowledge on the matter, but the planchet annealing machinery I’ve seen (in pics) has been either a large heated drum that is turned constantly to equalize the temperature (and easy to dump like a cement mixer), or what appears to be a conveyer-belt fed machine such as the SF Mint pic.

Notice the two clocks (or timers) on the side of the furnaces? I suspect they were used for timing the annealing (or slow cooling). The obvious use for the water tank would be for hardening steel, as annealing requires the steel to be cooled slowly–in a controlled atmosphere. So a furnace would be needed to heat up (anneal) the die. Then, from what I’ve read you would need another furnace to slowly bring down the temperature to keep the die soft (properly annealed) for hubbing. Perhaps that’s the reason for 4 ovens I see here–2 for heating, the others for cooling?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by DVCollector DVCollector.