Reply To: 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures

Reply To: 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures 2015-02-27T21:22:56+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures Reply To: 1890 QDO-001–detailed pictures

RussRuss
Keymaster

Yeah, the dies were annealed between each hubbing. You can imagine how it must have felt when a die broke very quickly in the press.

You’d think that if orange peel could occur on the dies – why not the planchets? Especially if they were fired in the same ovens at the mint. They would have pumped out far more planchets, which would have left more room for error in producing planchets that were over annealed. So I guess the mystery would be, if planchets were annealed at the mint, why does orange peel only occur on dies?

This picture of the old furnace has very small doors. Seems great for die making but doesn’t seem preferable for planchets. What are the workers doing in the background there? A cart sits in front of an open oven door, and one of the workers appears to be placing something into or removing something from the oven. The guy beside him also has a tool, but it is very short. Maybe they are tongs of some sort, and he is moving items from the front of the cart to the back as the guy pulls stuff from the furnace.

The cart has handles on both ends, large semi-circular. What is in the cart? There actually appears to be a die or hub standing upright, and not planchets. The cart is fashioned such it has high rails and open sides. If planchets were piled in this cart, surely they would slide off the sides of the cart. But each planchet needs to cool at the same rate, so you can’t just pile them up and let them cool down. At least it seems so.

There appears to be a large bin of water, where the third guy is. There are trails of water or stains of some sort on the floor, leading to the forefront of the photo at the bottom. There are gaps in the trails, as if a wheel had made them and are probably from a cart. If they were busy in this picture annealing dies, then they wouldn’t be using water to cool them. I wonder if they were actually hardening hubs or dies in this photo.

But I don’t know why they would put the dies or hubs in the furnace individually and not on a tray together.

There is something white in that bucket on the left and splattered all over the wall. There are piles of something above the water bin, little bowls or something. The cart in the forefront, something seems to be sticking off the end. They almost look like shovel heads. It does not appear to be the same type of cart that the men are using. There appear to be trays of some sort above the guy on the far left. They look similar to round trays that I’ve seen in modern photos used to heat dies in the furnace.

In the end, I just don’t know enough.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Russ Russ.