Reply To: Photographing bronze coins

Reply To: Photographing bronze coins 2015-02-05T21:43:21+00:00

Home Forums Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents Forum Photographing bronze coins Reply To: Photographing bronze coins

RussRuss
Keymaster

Wow, what a great shot. It brought out some scratches I never saw, lol. The crack forming the length of the neck is interesting. Also there is ‘spider webbing’ in the center of the coin, west of the ear, from die deterioration. My memory tells me that I’ve seen that type of die deterioration most often in 1863 with CN coinage. The die lines under the ear are also most often seen in 1863. A LOT of things lead me to believe that this die was hubbed in 1863 and remained undated. I think it could have received another hubbing after being in storage, given the boldness of the devices, die rust and die damage. Although the die is deteriorated and clashed at least twice, you can still see the string in the pearls very boldly. Very often, the string can’t be seen at all on MS coins. On this example, you can see them between each pearl. Nice.

There does appear to be a very minor MPD between the 8 and 6, and a minor RPD on the western tip of the 4’s base (could be a digit punch defect). Too minor to list, however.

Collecting Flying Eagle and Indian Head pennies never made more cents!